December 11, 2007

Saving the Earth, one packaging peanut at a time

I have become an internet shopper since moving to Central Oregon (mostly on Etsy!). We live 8 miles from town, and the town is tiny. Redmond is the closest city, but lacks many (ok, all) of the stores I normally frequent. The largest city in Central Oregon is Bend, which is 30 miles away. We're estimating a $4000 per year increase in gasoline expense. (Yes, I typed that correctly) So, we really try to plan out our trips. All that leads to the increase in internet shopping. Now, if I could only get sellers to ship UPS rather than USPS, things would be good! (Our mail box is inconveniently located 2 1/2 miles from our house...UPS delivers to our door.) I've been collecting a big pile of boxes, bubble wrap, packaging peanuts, etc. I have set some aside to reuse for the items I sell through my Etsy site (www.highdesertdiva.etsy.com). I will recycle what I can, and post a free listing on Craigslist if there is any I don't need. Having recently moved, I know how much bubble-wrap it took to pack up a houseful of dishes and other breakable things....I certainly wouldn't have wanted to pay for any of it!

"We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children." -Ancient Indian Proverb

Dancing Mooney has a great article on her blog about recycling packaging materials:
http://dancingmooney.blogspot.com/2007/12/recycling-and-etsy.html

No comments: