June 12, 2008

Design inspiration

I wanted to share two of my favorite design books.

Decorative Hardware was the first book written about designing with antique hardware. From Victorian to mid-Century, Liz Gordon the author and owner of Liz's Antique Hardware, describes what can be done to visually change the overall look of a room or a piece of furniture with the addition of decorative hardware.

A side note: as this is one of my favorites, I had it on my coffee table the first time I met Donna Pizzi and Philip Clayton Thompson when they came to scout our previous home for a photo shoot. Donna said, "Oh, you have our book." I had no idea what she was talking about. Philip photographed this book, and Donna did the styling. Serendipity.




The next book, The Not So Big House, was written by architect Sarah Susanka, who believes in designing homes “that favor the quality of its space over the quantity” not "the notion that houses should be designed to impress rather than nurture.” www.notsobighouse.com

This belief resonates with me as I can't see the need for excessively large homes.



Both books can be found at Powell's Books

16 comments:

Rosebud Collection said...

I started to laugh, this is the second time we blogged about something along the same line...
Love you new banner, and enjoyed the books..

Anonymous said...

What a great serendipitous story!

Love the new banner too :)

Tess Kincaid said...

These look like great books! I'll have to check them out. Thanks!

Love your new header, BTW!

Unknown said...

Excess in a home is nothing more than an ego problem I feel. It is nice to have space and enjoy it but perhaps ridding ourselves of the things we don't need will allow us all to see there is not as great a need for as large a home and we can feel free in a smaller space. Great reminder C, I will pick up that book for sure!

littlebyrd said...

These look interesting. I love the old hardware so I am thinking that is a must have!

Victoria said...

I really like the concept of the 2nd book, and will have to look for the 1st book.

Your new banner looks great!

K.C. said...

I love this style of decorating. I am glad that I stopped in today. I will have to research this book. KC

picciolo said...

both these look great, love the story about meeting the photographer and stylist!
: )

Lavinia said...

A quick scroll through your blog shows me that I have missed plenty here....I've been experiencing computer malfunction problems as you know....I think I will just hit 'print' and read your posts on my way home, they are sure to cheer me....

I'll be back later with comments galore, by the looks of these marvelous looking posts...

The Farrier's Daughter said...

I am most definitely going to have to find those books. Thanks for the recommendation. And I agree...cheers to small homes! They get too big, and the kids are no longer forced to hang out with you! Haha!

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

How cool to have had their book! Design books are a must. These seem perfectly suited to your personal style.

Mrs.French said...

Oh I have the Not So Big House and love it. Mr. French actually picked it up and got me hooked...crazy!

Anonymous said...

I need to check those books out. Thanks, Susie H

Unknown said...

Me too...on that big house part, we are only back home in the evening and leave early the next morning, all the kids are at my mom's place after school...so no need for a really big house, afterall with no house maid, cleaning is no fun :)

Hey Harriet said...

I think I need a copy of 'The Not So Big House' book. Mine is the size of a shoebox...

Ivy & Mae said...

ooo I should read not so big house...thanks for the tip (small old house--that isn't so functional, but could be!)