June 20, 2010

Back yard re-vamp

We're starting work on the back patio. Our plan is to have a (cement) flagstone patio, a gravel path, and native, drought tolerant shrubbery to conceal the parking area from the patio/deck.

Before:
Mark's sketch.
Cement flagstones.
The blue flags mark the area where the patio will be...with the exception of the two out by the gravel which delineate the width of the path.

Mark's string system in place to make sure we're keeping the backfill dirt level...and, of course, Trux - supervising.
Gettin' there!
The homemade, weighted roller thing...
sadly, the garden tractor isn't working.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a nasty tease to scroll through the pictures only to discover the project isn't finished yet! Baaaahhhh!

Keep rollin' Mark, I want to seeee!

Golden West said...

Love your choice of flagstones! My mom (she's 83) recently put in (by herself) flagstone in her backyard and has baby tears growing up through the spaces between them - looks great. The curves in your design are terrific!

Carla said...

I can see it now--it's going to be GREAT!

picciolo said...

That looks like a whole lot of hard work, but I'm sure it will be worth it, you have made a big difference already
: )

Amanda at 32˙North said...

I'm working on making a patio area out of part of my lawn right now. Just an area to be able to sit in the sun with either a raised fire pit or one of those portable ones.

Where did you find those most awesome cement flagstones?

Tess Kincaid said...

Lookin' good!!

Amanda at 32˙North said...

I searched for those flagstones and they're not available at our local Lowes. Drat!

Less Than Reality said...

I hope everything works out well! I am soon going to renovate my backyard with a cement patio, and I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

I love me a good yard makeover. Can't wait to see the final project. And how cool is that big roller?

Stephenie from Decorating Addiction said...

How's it coming along? We haven't even addressed our outside yard yet, but we also want to do a flagstone patio so I am eager to see how yours turns out! Best . . . Stephenie

High Desert Diva said...

Haven't had a chance to work on it since that day. Mark has 10 days off over the Fourth. We'll attack it again then.