October 23, 2009

Halloween decorating

Got your Halloween decorations up yet?

Charmaine, Cherelle, & Cherise
probably 1972

When I was little, my sisters and I would tape up Halloween prints on the inside of the front porch window.  Year after year....the same decorations. 

(If I were to decorate today, I would use a collection of these ornaments from A Dose of Alchemy....ghoulishly brilliant!)

We would then sit on a newspaper lined kitchen floor and carve our pumpkins. Today, the smell of the inside of a pumpkin and its seeds is an instant sensory memory to those distant pre-Halloween preparations.

"The sense of smell can be extraordinarily evocative, bringing back pictures as sharp as photographs of scenes that had left the conscious mind."

~ Thalassa Cruso, To Everything There is a Season

6 comments:

Almost Precious said...

Great ornaments, can only imagine how they would look in the glow of a red light...creepy !

I just posted my first giveaway at my blog...used to make jewelry so the handcrafted beaded brooch was part of my inventory. Just hope my giveaway doesn't end up being like the party that nobody came to. :(

vicki archer said...

I have two pumpkins in the kitchen and that is it so far...somehow, where I live, I don't think anyone will come a knocking...Have a wonderful weekend, xv.

picciolo said...

we haven't got a pumpkin yet but we have bought stripy witches tights and some witches fingers for Holly!
: )

Tess Kincaid said...

I don't decorate for Halloween now that the kids are gone. And we don't get any trick or treaters back here at the manor. I DO, however, LOVE the A Dose of Alchemy ornaments!!

Victoria said...

The pumpkins, hand picked from a local field are scattered around the front stoop, waiting to be carved (hopefully) this weekend.

And very cool ornaments!

Amanda at 32˙North said...

I've picked up two pumpkins, though they're a bit small for carving. I couldn't resist them though -- their stems have character!